Thursday, October 11, 2018

Veg, Non Veg or something more?

Hello friends,

Just a few days back, I was having some discussion with my laboratory technician about food. It starting with a simple comment on how great the weather is, and how he wished to have some mutton curry to go with it. When I commented that its Navratri time (9 days of worshiping or enjoying the festival of Goddess Durga), he acknowledged and didn't said any further. (Although, here in Bhubaneswar, Navratra is not a big festival).

But it made me recall a conversation I had with him about food habits in his village. He had said that he does not believe in specific days of abstinence from non veg foods in Hindu festivals like others and in his village, they regularly go for hunts of wild animal like wild boar, deer and enjoy their delicious meat. 

When I asked if forest officials didn't stop them, he answered that they hide and go in night. If they outnumber forest officials, they used to tie them and beat them. I was surprised by the way he naturally talk about doing something wrong or illegal. When I told him that he is wrong to do so, he said, its normal in villages near forests where they smuggle woods, hunt animals because they were poor. They had scanty food from small land they grew food and they need extra food which is easily provided from the forest. They disliked how forest officials stop them, so it was only their anger against them. I was taken aback, even if I knew he was wrong, I had nothing to say.

Now that I think of it, people have their need and I don't have any authority to stop them. But still, as a nature enthusiast, my concerns about the fate of animals, and forest itself, wanted him or such villages to stop such activities.


Coming to the topic, India is a primarily vegetarianism country where it's considered pious. Those who enjoy meat too, stick to veg meals during religious festivals, certain days like Monday, Thursday ( Hostels in Odisha strictly follow it) and some in Tuesday and Saturday depending on their beliefs. Majority of our diet consist of vegetarian food which indirectly promote conservation.

I personally support vegetarianism (not Vegan as they even avoid milk), even if it makes me a hypocrite ( as I enjoy occasional treats of chicken and prawn). I believe we should take food as necessity and not out of greed or pleasure. 

But then, like my technician, how many would believe in my opinions or thoughts?? They too have right to enjoy their food and have a healthy living!
We as a species are already putting lot of strain on the environment and its resources. We also believe in equal rights to all human being....then what should we do??


As a Nation it's our responsibility to have balanced growth and proper use of resources, how it's possible? I believe;
1: We need two child policy or one child policy in countries with highest population be it China, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, etc. 
2: We should have universal food for all ( which would need farmer support, purchasing and storing of food and proper distribution of food), so that they have no need to hunt or kill. 
3: For meat, strict rules to be followed for Animal husbandry and any kind of meat from wild animals be prohibited and guilty should be strongly punished. No excuses be heard as we are already providing food.
4: Promotion of Vegetarian food, Vegan food as a strong marketing basis.

Finally, there is a very thin line between Greed and Necessity and we need to make it clear. 
.
..
....
Is it about Veg, Non Veg or something more??

No comments: