Monday, October 8, 2018

Attending a Conference

So, I went to this state conference to attend. It was a conference of Medical Microbiologists from the state, inviting speakers from other states. 

The speaker talked about Polio and its history, its path to eradication due to vaccines, obstacles and hiccups that it faced and the future course. While the symposium was about Mycology and its clinical importance (Fungal infections like Tinea, Keratitis, Mycetoma etc). Overall it was an interesting session.

I went there as faculty, (although the previous visitation as post graduate student was still fresh in my mind) and many of our teachers and guides were present in the conference. 
I was there to also present a poster about the works done at our hospital and how it helps in clinical cure of patients. Posters by faculties were mostly for sharing of experiences from their postings and I was excited to share the same.

I shared my experiences with my juniors, doctors who came to see the posters and waited for the evaluators / Judges to come and see my poster. 
The Poster presented the clinical application part of our subject. (Blood stream infections)
I was the last person to be evaluated (as I was the only faculty since others were post graduate students). 

Finally it was my turn and the judges saw my poster. I was preparing myself for the demonstration, but before I could explain my study, they started asking the basic theory like definitions, asked about veracity of the study. When I told them its a retrospective study ( studies done from the data provided from past year), they started questioning the study itself. 

I was disappointed, for their intention was more like showing faults and picking mistakes rather than understanding the study as a whole. They didn't even allowed me to tell them my perspectives and understanding about the subject. I work in a corporate hospital and understand the prejudice the medical college have. I also know that I might have been lacking too in some areas, still it was saddening.

The teachers in government medical colleges are so wired to see only faults that they ignore the larger cause. I wanted to display the practical applications of microbiology in clinical set up, but I was confined to bookish definitions and validations. 

How can you learn and grow, if you only see faults and mistakes and ignore or even discourage people to tell what they know?? ( Still I hope its my own opinions but my experiences in medical college from postgraduate days tell me otherwise.)

No comments: